Ditch the filters and reveal your natural radiance with these top-rated Patchology eye patches Dreaming of waking up with fresh, bright, and flawless under-eyes? It's not just a dream anymore! Patchology offers a range of...
The internet is buzzing about under-eye patches, with celebrities and influencers raving about their ability to instantly brighten, de-puff, and smooth tired eyes. Celebrities like Kyle Richards even says that eye gels are “non-negotiable for travel”. But are these miracle patches all they're cracked up to be, or are they just another overhyped beauty trend?
How Do Under Eye Patches Work?
Under-eye patches are crescent-shaped masks soaked in concentrated skincare goodness. Think of them like mini facial masks specifically designed for the delicate under-eye area. They come in different materials like hydrogel and are infused with a variety of ingredients depending on their purpose: hyaluronic acid and peptides for hydration, caffeine for de-puffing, vitamin C and niacinamide for brightening, and retinol and bakuchiol for smoothing. They offer
benefits like reducing puffiness, brightening dark circles, and hydrating the skin, but aren't a permanent fix for deeper concerns.
They are infused with various ingredients depending on their intended purpose, such as:
- Hydrating ingredients like hyaluronic acid and glycerin to plump and moisturize the delicate under-eye area.
- Depuffing ingredients like caffeine and cucumber extract to reduce puffiness and inflammation.
- Brightening ingredients like vitamin C and niacinamide to lighten dark circles and even out skin tone.
- Smoothing fine lines and plump the skin like retinol and peptides to reduce the appearance of fine lines.
When applied to the under-eye area, the ingredients in the patches are supposed to penetrate the skin and deliver their benefits. However, the effectiveness of under-eye patches can vary depending on several factors, such as:
The quality of the ingredients: Look for patches with high-quality, potent ingredients that are backed by scientific research.
Your skin type: If you have sensitive skin, be sure to choose patches that are formulated for sensitive skin to avoid irritation.
The severity of your under-eye concerns: If you have deep dark circles or severe puffiness, under-eye patches may not be enough to provide significant results.
How To Use Eye Patches
To get the most out of your under-eye patches, follow these steps:
- Cleanse and dry your face thoroughly.
- Remove the patches from the packaging and apply them to the under-eye area.
- Relax and leave the patches on for the recommended amount of time, typically 5-20 minutes. Wearing eye gels overnight or for prolonged periods is not recommended.
- Gently remove the patches and discard them.
- Pat your under-eye area, no need to rinse allow the remaining serum to soak in.
Store them chilled: Pop them in the fridge for an extra cooling and de-puffing effect. Especially our Serve Chilled eye patches like Bubbly, Rosé, and On Ice.
Lie down while using: This helps prevent patches from slipping.
Target specific concerns: Use them as a targeted treatment for puffiness after a long day or dryness after flying.
Interested in more eye gel tips? The Skimm discusses how to use under eye gels with a dermatologist.
Do Eye Gels Work?
So, the question remains: do under-eye patches work? The answer is that it depends. While they may not be a miracle cure for all under-eye concerns, they can offer some temporary benefits, such as:
- Reducing puffiness: The cooling effect of the patches can help to constrict blood vessels and reduce puffiness.
- Hydrating the skin: The ingredients in the patches can help to hydrate the delicate under-eye area, making it appear plumper and smoother.
- Brightening the skin: Some patches contain ingredients that can help to brighten the skin and reduce the appearance of dark circles.
BuzzFeed asks a dermatologist what to look for when buying eye patches.
Overall, under-eye patches can be a nice addition to your skincare routine, especially if you are looking for a quick and easy way to refresh and brighten your eyes.
How to use eye cream and eye gels? We did a deep dive on how you can use both of eye cream and eye gels in your skincare routine.
So are under eye patches worth it? Yes! They can:
- Reduced puffiness: The cooling effect constricts blood vessels, minimizing puffiness like Rejuvenating hyaluronic acid, a boost of caffeine, and peptides.
- Hydration: Ingredients plump and hydrate the delicate under-eye area, making it appear smoother like On Ice with peptides, cloudberry extract, and bakuchiol.
- Brightening: Some patches like Bubbly and Illuminate contain ingredients that tackle dark circles, leaving skin looking brighter.
Remember: The eye gels won't permanently fix your skin, they work to boost and improve your under eyes over time. Building eye patches into your skincare routine is key.
Real Simple discusses how under eye patches are the most underrated skincare must-have. Especially if you have under eye bags and/or dark circles. If you seek a quick, easy way to refresh and brighten your eyes, they can be a nice addition to your routine. But they're not a substitute for a healthy lifestyle and a solid skincare regimen.
Take our eye gel quiz to find the recommendation for your specific concerns or skincare goals.
- Tags: eye gels